Skip to main content

Recipe: Faux Chicken Nuggets

This past weekend was exhausting to everyone in the family and I feel like I need a weekend to recover from the weekend. We were on the go and non-stop since Friday with a picnic at my husband's work till we put Nathaniel down to bed at 9:30pm Sunday night with a 101.7F out-of-nowhere fever :( (Teething maybe? He has FOUR teeth coming out after all---now a total of sixteen teeth!)

Anyway, I made and brought these Faux Chicken Nuggets to the picnic as an April Fools' joke. I'm so glad and thankful that my husband lets me try new (and even silly!) recipes. He is also more than happy to be the guinea pig of my newly tested creations.


These fooled a lot of people but received praises for the taste, too. I was surprised at how realistic they look! And if you can't use peanuts for some reason, you can substitute a combination of crunchy oatmeal cookies and cheerios instead.

Recipe adapted from Taste of Home

Makes 2 dozen "Chicken Nuggets" and 1 cup dipping sauce

Ingredients:
  • Chicken Nuggets
    • 1 loaf (10 3/4 oz) frozen pound cake, thawed
    • 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
    • 2 tbsps water
    • 4 1/2 tsps light corn syrup
    • 1 tbsp butter, softened
    • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    • 2 cups finely chopped salted peanuts (I used dry roasted peanuts)
  • Golden Dipping Sauce
    • 2 snack-size cups (3.5 oz each) vanilla pudding
    • 2 tsps dark corn syrup (I used light corn syrup)
    • 2 drops yellow food coloring, optional
Directions:

Cut cake into 12 slices; cut each slice in half. Cut into irregular-nugget shaped pieces; set aside.

In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water, corn syrup, butter, and vanilla; beat on low speed until sugar in moistened. Beat on high until smooth. Dip cake pieces into glaze, then roll in peanuts. Let stand until set.

In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Serve with nuggets.



Linking up to:

Mellow Yellow Monday
For The Love of Blogs: Tasty Tuesday
33 Shades of Green: Tasty Tuesdays
A Bowl Full of Lemons: One Project at a Time...

Comments

  1. Those look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really yummy! Do you want some more yummy yellow, please come and see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummy! I love this idea!
    I have just awarded you a Stylish Blogger Award. Check it out here.
    http://www.calamitykitchen.com/2011/04/award-and-not-so-stylish-handwriting.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great looking nuggets there! And it's so nice that your hubby is willing to be your guinea pigs heheheh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love nuggets must try the sauce .. thanks for visiting my mym! Your newest follower here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is hilarious. I love it!
    You are so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How creative!!! Love this idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. from the pic i totally thought these were a vegan or soy nugget or something....great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a BRILLIANT idea! My littlest loves nuggets and cake - this will be a dream come true for him :)
    New Follower from "New Friend Friday" - Come by and say hello :) TheCaffeineCoquette.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a clever recipe! Loved checking out your blog - beautiful job. Be blessed :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow they look so real! I may have to make these for my Sweetie & see what he thinks! I'm your newest follower from the Friday Blog Hop!

    Wishing you a blessed Friday!

    Heather @ Catfish Kisses

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Have a blessed day!