Skip to main content

Recipe: Grandma's Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup

When my husband left Monday morning for training, he was sick as a dog. He spent most of the evening in the bathroom and our Valentine's Day breakfast at home was canceled because he didn't have an appetite. I prayed that (three days later) he was hopefully feeling better. And thankfully, he was! However, I still had this need to serve him comfort food for dinner when he came home last night.


It was also raining most of the day and I just love a hot bowl of soup when it's wet and cold outside. (Fun fact: it stopped raining and the sun came out as I was making this soup. It happened so instantaneously that my son thought I turned on the light without leaving my spot when the sun started shining through my kitchen windows. His confused face was a rather pretty funny sight.)


This recipe is based from the Betty Crocker Soups magazine edition but I made a few adjustments. I added more vegetables because Nathaniel loves and only eats veggies (do we have a little vegetarian in our hands?). I also added garlic because I think whenever onion is used, garlic should be, too (and we love garlic!). And since I only have the regular egg noodles in the pantry, I used those instead of the frozen home-style egg noodles that the recipe originally calls for. I just cooked the noodles separately and then added them 15 minutes right before serving.

Served with Parmesan-Black Pepper Breadsticks

Serves 4 (1 1/2 cups each)

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 3 medium stalks celery, sliced
  • 2 large carrots, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
  • 2 cups frozen sweet peas, thawed
  • 3 cups uncooked egg noodles
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Spray 10-inch skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Cook chicken in skillet about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until brown.

In 3 1/2- to 4-quarts slow cooker, mix chicken and remaining ingredients except peas and noodles.

Cover; cook on Low heat setting 6 hours 30 minutes to 7 hours.

Stir in peas and noodles. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook about 30 minutes or until noodles are tender.


Linking up to: 

and then, she {snapped}: show {off} your shot
Paisley Passions: Fun w/ Food Friday
Time-Warp Wife: {Titus 2}sdays

Comments

  1. this looks delish!

    thanks for sharing, wishing you a sweet day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos and I am always looking for soup recipes, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm snagging this recipe! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a gorgeous soup! Thanks for sharing!!! I can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - that looks delicious! I found you through the "Weekend Wander" over at FTLOB. I am now following and I hope you'll follow me too! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Have a blessed day!