Skip to main content

1 Corinthians 13


I really liked the lesson our preacher taught yesterday. He talked about the scriptures 1 Corinthians 13. To be honest, it is not one of my favorite verses because it has been overused by people, movies, weddings etc. without really comprehending the power of its meaning. Yes, it is obvious that God is commanding us to love. To love Him. To love our family, our neighbors. Even to love our enemies. But what is love, really?

According to 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8:

 (4) Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. (5) It does not dishonor, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. (6) Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. (7) Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. (8) Love never fails.

I will be honest and say that I personally find it difficult to always comply and live my Christian life according to that scripture. I love my son but my love for him is not always patient. I hope I am kind to my husband all most of the time but I know there are times where my "love" for him is not kind. And then I ponder the last definition on verse 5 and I know I have failed.

But love NEVER fails.

Maybe I am having trouble with this because love is not always an easy choice. So instead of focusing on love, what helps me achieve this scripture is by "becoming" that scripture. Diana is patient, Diana is kind. She does not envy, she does not boast... So during the times when love is not easy, I should still be patient. I still should be kind. And I think that is one way to achieve agape love. The unconditional love.

I don't know but for me, viewing it that way somehow makes it easier to live that scripture. Even when my son feels like fighting naptime. Or when I have to wash my husband's stinky socks. I am trying to be patient. I am trying to be kind.


"Let all that you do be done in love."
1 Corinthians 16: 14

Linking up to: 

Trendy Treehouse: Shutter Love Tuesday
We are THAT Family: Works-for-Me Wednesday

Comments

  1. Great post! I definitely struggle with some of this, too. Looooooooove the photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was in our wedding vowels and its on a prayer box Mister got me a few years ago for my birthday. I have to agree with your post! I think we all stuggle in different forms of this. This was a Great post! Thanks For Sharing.
    Thank you for you sweet comment. We had a blast! Happy Valentines Day to you and your family!! Love all the pictures and the ones on the post below.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love this post, thanks so much for sharing =) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful pic and beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Have a blessed day!