Skip to main content

Abilene Zoo

We went to the Abilene Zoo over the Fourth of July weekend. It was a very small zoo---we visited the entire place in less than three hours! But I loved how close we were able to get to the animals. I also didn't take very much photos because it was bright and I still have yet to learn the proper camera settings for this lighting. But mainly, because it was super hot.


This is probably common knowledge to most people but I didn't know Flamingos get their pink feathers from their diet: shrimp. That's a lot of shrimp eatin'! Oh, and Hubby spent five minutes "talking" to one of the flamingos. Dean mimicked the sound and the flamingo kept responding back.


What's really awesome about this zoo is we were able to feed the giraffes. I've fed giraffes before at the Indianapolis Zoo but not like this!


We were soooo close and you can pretty much feed them as long as you don't run out of crackers and they are willing to eat.


Nathaniel only fed the giraffe one cracker before he decided he was done. I guess he didn't like being licked by a huge, slobbery tongue!


That's one looooong tongue!


 


"Strong just like my Daddy"

This bird (among with many others) was free to fly and move around in the room with us. I used my 50mm lens so you bet I was really that close!



We saw more animals but most of the big animals were asleep or in the shade because it was hot. So we stopped by to see the flamingos again before riding the train.


And I'm glad we rode the train because the bear and jaguar decided to make an appearance then. I was really hoping Nathaniel would see them up close. He is really starting to learn animal sounds and associate the sound with a live animal, not just by asking him or through pictures. Maybe next time!

Comments

  1. New follower- stopping by to say hello. :) http://lifeaccordingtodamaris.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. new follower from the bloghop! I LOVE your blog header...what a cute family :)
    www.jadesteckly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms.D,the photo of the bird is beautiful! you told me you are not professional photographer,but you are good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm your newest follower from the Friday Blog Hop! Would love if you would stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cool how you can feed the animals. Certainly can't do that at our zoo. Following you from the Friday Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Pics! New follower stopping by !
    Hope you can visit soon!
    http://bobjenjack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful clicks..:)

    Hey, stopping from FFF hop. Following you in GFC. Pls swing back when time permits you.


    http://princess-liya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures! I love the zoo!
    http://sweetteaserendipity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! What awesome photos. Did you see that you were a winner from Quarterly Top 5? http://naptimemomtog.com/photography/quarterly-top-5-winner-some-favorites/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome zoo pics! New follower from Fri Hop! Please check out my new blog http://aboutamom.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow those are some amazing photos! I'm a mom of two boys and love reading blogs of moms with other little boys. My youngest is 15 months :)

    New follower via Friend Finding Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like everyone had fun. I'm a new follower here from the FFF Hop. Congrats on being a guest host with Supermom.

    Amy

    MiMi's Diary
    www.graceandme.com

    Humble Pie
    gracefulhomepigeon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you guys had a blast! Great pictures too!

    New blog follower! Come follow back and enter my great giveaways! {One ends tonight} http://www.peacelovepoop.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love finding new blogs--especially ones with good pictures :) Have fun shining in the spotlight!

    http://hilljean.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved reading about your trip to the zoo, how fun! Your son is adorable, so precious. I come from a Marine family, uncle, brothers, many cousins, and nephew - so please tell your husband Ms. Redo in Virginia says "thanks for all your do for our country."

    I also "followed" your blog and would love a follow back - thanks!

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! That seems so fun and cool that you guys can feed the giraffe up close!

    ReplyDelete
  17. New follower from Friend Finding Fridays! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Have a blessed day!