Skip to main content

Recipe: Baked Pasta with Summer Veggies

There is just something so delicious about roasted vegetables especially when they are in season. Roasting brings out the natural sweetness in vegetables and intensifies the flavors without adding a lot of fat and calories---can't beat that! In fact, I love roasted vegetables so much that not even the three-digit Texas heat can prevent me from cranking up my oven just to have a taste of this yummyness.


This recipe is so easy to prepare and is very versatile when it comes to the ingredients. I actually substituted the red bell pepper with eggplant. I also opted to use panko bread crumbs instead of regular bread crumbs for the added crunch.

Adapted from Parenting Magazine July 2009

Serves 8

Ingredients:
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 zucchini, sliced
  • 1 eggplant, sliced
  • 2 tbsps olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 lb ziti pasta
  • 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 1/4 cup parmesan, plus 1/2 cup
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
  • 1/2 lb fresh mozzarella, cubed
  • 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425F. Place a large pot of salted water over medium-high heat.

Place onion, garlic, zucchini and eggplant on a baking sheet and coat the vegetables with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste and bake until caramelized, about 20 minutes and tossing in between.

While vegetables are roasting, add pasta to water and cook 2 minutes short of package directions. Drain.

In a large bowl, combine ricotta, 1/4 cup parmesan and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Gently add pasta, vegetables, tomatoes, oregano and mozzarella and mix well. Pour into a baking dish. (Time saver: you can stop here and refrigerate for up to a day ahead.)

Sprinkle top with 1/2 cup parmesan and bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, until light browned and bubbling, about 20 minutes.


Linking up to: 

Remodelaholic: Recipe Swap Sundays
33 Shades of Green: Tasty Tuesdays
For The Love of Blogs: Tasty Tuesdays

Comments

  1. I love the sound of this. All the colors look so beautiful together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks good. Would come over and share some of your recipes at my link party Cast Party Wednesday tomorrow?
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always do Pasta & Veggie dishes but I love your baking twist. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pasta sounds delicious with all the fresh veggies and ricotta- almost like lasagna primavera only easier. I wanted to invite you to come over and share your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight. Have a great day :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so amazing! I'll have to try that when I get a chance. You seem like you enjoy the small things in life and I admire that. I'm following you now and hope you take some time to check out my blog. Here's to success and happiness!

    -A-Mac
    A-Mac's Success Blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Have a blessed day!