Skip to main content

Easter Eggs 2012

Nathaniel and I dyed our Easter eggs today. I really wanted to give natural dyeing a try this year but with Hubby working the Augusta Masters, I just didn't have the extra hand/help available. So I chose to use the Kool-Aid method that I found from Hey! Jen Renee.

I bought 7 different Kool-Aid packets and they were still cheaper than the pre-packaged dye kits. And I probably could have even bought less flavors since I was able to achieve more colors by either soaking the eggs longer, removing them right away, or diluting the solution.



I used mason jars and old bottles because they came with lids. As you can see, one second Nathaniel was showing me "pay-ple" (purple) and the next second, he was picking it up. Can you imagine the mess if we had used disposable, limpy cups? Yikes!



Nathaniel dropped helped put the eggs inside the jars, which cracked them a little bit. Oopss. And while we were waiting for the eggs to soak in the colors (which doesn't take long at all!), he was doing his favorite part of Easter Egg dyeing: eating the eggs. I learned from last year's experience, so I made sure to cook extra just for eating right away this time.



Ready to peak in?


My original violet/indigo egg turned dark and black, so I diluted the mixture for the next egg and allowed it to be soaked for just a little while. And my yellow remained barely yellow for the longest time so I rinsed the egg and followed the natural way and used Turmeric.


I am very impressed with the results and I think we will dye our Easter eggs this way from now on. No waiting more than half an hour per egg, no vinegar needed (although the smell doesn't really bother me anyway), cheaper than the dye kit and the colors are really vibrant! I'm so happy I was even able to achieve (an almost) ROYGBIV.

Linking up to:

Be Inspired Project: Multiples
Communal Global: Tuesdays Around the World

Comments

  1. Awesome! We used the dye packages as usual but I always buy the glitter version because the eggs are so pretty covered in glitter :) Thanks for linking up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a long time since I did this with my children...great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your eggs are quite a bit more vibrant than mine; I'm going to try your secret next year. Nathaniel will be an experienced helper next Easter! Thanks for sharing your blues.

    Happy Blue Monday, Diana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, never heard of this method!!Your eggs colors are so vivid and no dye or smell. Great tip. and gorgeous pics of your lttle guy.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dyeing eggs are so much fun. That's one thing that my kiddos look forward to during Easter.

    My BLUE post. Your comment will be so much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colorful eggs! He surely had the fun:)

    Visiting for Blue Monday-hope you can stop by:)

    http://www.sweetposh.info/2012/03/babys-panda-outfit.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Have a blessed day!