Skip to main content

Recipe: Ice Cream Cake


I have been getting a lot of requests for the recipe of the ice cream cake I made for the 25th birthday. I personally didn't follow any recipe and just executed this from what I wanted/looking for. And since I didn't have a recipe to guide me, I used pre-packaged ingredients because I didn't want to have to worry about taste and consistency of the overall cake as well. So here it goes:

Ingredients:
  • 1 box super moist cake mix (and all the other ingredients this cake mix calls for)
  • 1 1.5L ice cream flavor of your choice
  • 1 16 oz Cream cheese icing
  • Toppings of your choice
You will also need:
  • Cheesecake spring form pan (I used a 9 1/2 inch since my cake were baked in 9 inch pans)
  • Plastic wrap
Directions:

Bake the cake according to the directions provided on the box. Let it cool for at least an hour (preferably more). Once cooled, trim the top if necessary to make the cake leveled.

Take the ice cream container out of the freezer and let it stand in room temperature for about 5-10 minutes. While waiting for the ice cream to soften, line the spring form pan with plastic wrap.

Place the first layer of cooled cake, top side up. Layer the softened ice cream and smooth it over to level it out. Place the second layer of the cake, top side down. Cover the top with more plastic wrap and place in the freezer overnight (or at least 6 hours).

Take out the cake (should be easy because of the plastic wrap) and ice the first layer of crumb coat. Put back in the freezer for a few minutes.

Finish icing the cake. You will notice that the icing will not stick on the actual ice cream layer--this is what the side toppings are for!

Decorate with your choice of toppings! If you use fresh fruit, wait until right before serving the cake to prevent the fresh fruit from freezing. (I had to stop every few minutes and put the cake back in the freezer because I didn't want the ice cream to melt too much.)


This cake was delicious and I love that you can change the flavors of both the cake and the ice cream. And there are endless topping choices! I hope this helps and remember to take a picture if you decide to make it :)

Comments