Skip to main content

Standing on the Promises


Today would have been Elijah Damaris' first birthday. And so we dedicate this whole day remembering and celebrating the brief lives of our two children that are now waiting for us in heaven. Last year, I spent most of the day crying. I was not only grieving the loss of two children but the uncertainty of another chance to be a mother again.

Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,

Thankfully, this year is a little different. Today was spent with less tears and more smiles. Less anger and more hope. Less withdrawing and more snuggling with my children. The pain and grief are certainly still there, as I assume they always will. But today is brighter than last year.

By the living Word of God I shall prevail,
Standing on the promises of God.

For my God is faithful. He keeps His Covenant and His lovingkindness to a thousandth generation with those who love Him and keep His commandments. My God granted us the desires of our hearts in His own time. We just had to be patient and remain faithful.

Standing, standing,
Standing on the promises of Christ my Savior;

And today, I am standing on that promise. God blessed us with another child. By no means does Amelia replace her brother and sister. But she makes the pain less intense. And I am currently holding tight to that promise. All 8 pounds and 4 ounces of it.

Standing, standing,
I'm standing on the promises of God.

Read about Elijah Damaris here.
Read about Ruth James here.

Raspberry Oatmeal Cookie Bars
And a candle for Elijah and Ruth

Comments