Skip to main content

Recipe: Green Candied Popcorn

Freshly popped homemade popcorn is one of our favorite go-to snacks at our house. I love that it is healthy (low in calories with lots of fiber!) and since we pop our own, there are no added chemicals or preservatives. Lately, in addition to a little sprinkle of salt, I have been experimenting with different flavors by adding cinnamon, paprika, garlic powder, or chocolate.


And when I came across this recipe from Skip to my Lou a couple days ago, I knew I had to give it a try. I was going to wait until St. Patrick's Day but decided why not make them this week and next week? :)


In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter.


Then add 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup light corn syrup, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar.


Increase temperature to medium high and bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar.


Once mixture boils, add in 1/8 teaspoon green food coloring and stop stirring.


Boil for 5 minutes. Do NOT stir! 


Remove from heat and carefully stir in 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.


Working quickly and while mixture is foamy, pour mixture over 8 cups popped corn and gently stir to coat. (Spray the bowl with cooking spray. The original recipe didn't tell me to do so and I lost a few guys.)


Place popcorn into a large roaster or rimmed baking sheet (lined with parchment paper or sprayed with cooking spray) and bake at a preheat oven of 200F for 15 minutes. (The original recipe states to bake the popcorn for an hour, stirring every minutes 15 but I honestly didn't see the need for it.)


I separated the popcorn since they were starting to stick together and forming into popcorn balls.



Ingredients:
  • 8 cups popped popcorn, lightly seasoned with salt
  • 2 tbsps unsalted butter 
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1/8 tsp green food coloring
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Directions:

In heavy saucepan on medium, heat melt butter. Add sugar, corn syrup, salt and cream of tartar. Increase temperature to medium high and bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar.

Once mixture boils, add in food coloring and stop stirring. Boil for 5 minutes. Do NOT stir.

Remove from heat and carefully stir in vanilla and baking soda. Working quickly and while mixture is foamy, pour mixture over popped corn and gently stir to coat. (Remember to put a light coat of cooking spray on the bowl to avoid sticking.)

Place popcorn into a large roaster or rimmed baking sheet (lined with parchment paper or sprayed with cooking spray) and bake at a preheated oven 200° F for 15 minutes.



Linking up to:

Paisley Passions: Fun w/ Food Friday
For the Love of Blogs: Tasty Tuesday

Comments

  1. Wow!!! What a unique and yummy looking recipe!!! I'll have to try it! Beautiful photos of the green popcorn to go with the recipe =)

    Have a lovely weekend!

    xo
    melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool :) I bet kids love this! Your photography is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG YUMMMMMMMMMY!!! Totally gonna try this!! WOWAZA! I Cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic St. Patrick's day treat! I've never thought of anything like this before, but I might just have to try it.

    Visiting from FTLOB Weekend Wander. Hope you have a fantastic Saturday!

    xoxo,
    Joelle
    www.wherewelove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is awesome. I have my nieces 4th birthday coming up and I think this would be a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, these photos are great!!

    Second, I am SO going to make this! The kids will love it, especially my son who seems to be obsessed with the color green as of late! Thanks so much for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can also color/flavor with a box of jello (I use sugar free)...makes it tangy and colorful.

    Maddie

    ReplyDelete
  8. yumma gobble-licious * so fun! my kiddos will love * *

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! I wanted to let you know that I'm featuring your awesome green popcorn today. Thanks so much for sharing it. I'd love for you to stop by if you get a chance.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just attempted this for my son's class, and I have a few comments for others looking to try it!

    First, make sure you lower the heat to medium low while waiting the 5 minutes for the dye to disperse. That's not mentioned and I lost a batch to turning brown b/c it burned.

    Second, this is not enough to coat 8 cups of popcorn. I have 8 cups and it barely covers half :(. Definitely bummed.

    Last, an 1/8 tsp of food coloring makes it mint green, not Kelly green like shown. Wondering if there are a few discretions in the recipe :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome. Your photography is flawness now by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's fabulous! I wish I had found your post before St. Paddy's, but am certain I'll be giving the recipe a try regardless of the season! Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't even know how I ejded up here, but I thought this post was great.
    I do not knlw who you are but certainly you're going
    to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

    my web blog; adult sex dating

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Have a blessed day!