Skip to main content

Recipe: Triple Chocolate Pumpkin Pie

TRIPLE Chocolate. Do I really need to say more?

Triple Chocolate Pumpkin Pie

For weeks, I looked forward in serving it for Thanksgiving and was very happy to find out that when I doubled the recipe (one for us, the other for a friend), I actually had enough batter to make THREE pies! This discovery made my chocolate-lover heart very happy.


Bittersweet, Semi-sweet, and Milk Chocolate
all in one delicious pie

My husband, who I assumed would only want a taste and nothing more (after all I am also making his favorite pies: pecan and regular pumpkin), actually asked if he could have the last piece of the pie. It was that delicious that even a non-chocolate lover just might be converted to you know... one of us!

Hubby calls it "Charcoal Pie" and wants it
served every Thanksgiving :)

Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart

Makes 1 9-in deep dish pie

Ingredients:

For the graham cracker crust
  • 2 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs (about 16 crackers)
  • 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably 61 percent cacao), finely chopped
For the Filling
  • 6 ounces semisweet chocolate (preferably 55 percent cacao), chopped
  • 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
  • 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
  • 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Ground cloves
  • 1 ounce milk chocolate, melted

Directions:

Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine graham cracker crumbs, butter, sugars, salt, and cinnamon in bowl. Firmly press mixture into bottom and up sides of a deep, 9 1/2-inch pie dish. Bake until firm, 8 to 10 minutes.

Remove from oven, and sprinkle bittersweet chocolate over bottom of crust. Return to oven to melt chocolate, about 1 minute. Spread chocolate in a thin layer on bottom and up sides. Let cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.

Make the filling: In a large heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt semisweet chocolate and butter, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat.

Mix pumpkin, milk, brown sugar, eggs, cornstarch, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and a pinch of cloves in a medium bowl. Whisk 1/3 pumpkin mixture into chocolate mixture. Whisk in remaining pumpkin mixture until completely incorporated.

Transfer pie dish to a rimmed baking sheet, and pour pumpkin mixture into crust. Bake until center is set but still a bit wobbly, 55 to 60 minutes. Let cool in pie dish on a wire rack. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 8 hours (preferably overnight). Before serving, drizzle melted milk chocolate on top. Serve immediately.



     Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday Blog Hop at WhoIsLaura.com
    CreativeShareWednesdays     Photobucket

Comments

  1. I love chocolate. I love pie. Thanks for posting your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Delicious! What a showstopper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMY YUMMY
    I must have some

    xoxo
    bB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really good and different!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to have to clean the kitchen and give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to try this! Looks delish! :) I love pumpkin & chocolate! What could be better! Mmmmm! I'm your newest follower! If you want to check me out or follow me, I'm at. http://pocketfullofposies6.blogspot.com I am also a Christian & I homeschool my 4 kidos. :) I love to craft, bake & paint wood furniture & walls! :) I'm glad to have found your blog on "Simply Sweet Home". Your post was right next to mine & your desert looked to die for I had to check it out & the rest is history. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, wow! I would definitely be happy (and very guilty) after a few slices of this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Doesn't this look good! Pass me a slice!

    Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites last week. Hope to see you again this week. Also, I'd like to invite you to come by next Thursday for my Holly Bloggy Christmas Recipe Party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I stopped back by to let you know that I'm featuring you this week! Come by and grab my featured button if you'd like one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Have a blessed day!